What is a dental implant?
Dental implant is the surgical component placed inside the jaw bone to support dental prosthesis. It is made of Titanium, which is a biocompatible metal allowed bone cells to adhere to its surface to form Osseo integration (bond between bone cell and dental implant surface).
What will happen to the bone?
After losing teeth, there will be vertically and horizontally resorption of socket bones. The resorption is more pronounced on the buccal side (cheek side) than on the lingual side (palate and toung side) and more pronounced at the anterior region than at the posterior ones due to thinner bone wall.
Excess bone resorption of the buccal plate will affect patient’s lip profile in the anterior region. Inadequate remaining bone also affect implant placement which lead to more complicate treatments.
In the long run, placing an implant helps preserve remaining bone structure and prevent further bone resorption at the area. Please note that some parts of the socket bone will be inevitably resorbed as a natural process of bone healing. Placing an implant can preserve the remaining parts.
Benefits of dental implant treatment:
- Preserve intact tooth structure
- Preserve remaining bone
- Better support for full mouth denture
- Alternative treatment of conventional fixed prostheses
Type of implant:
There are 4 types of dental implant in accordance with the implantation timing*.
- Immediate placement
- Early placement
- Delayed placement
- Late placement
*Based on 3rd International Team for Implantology (ITI) Consensus Conference
**Please note that timing and treatment planning will be discussed with patient on a case by case basis.
Dental implants restoration types:
- One implant replace one missing tooth
- Implants replace multiple missing teeth
- Implants replace full mouth missing teeth
Dental Implant procedure:
- Diagnose and X-ray in some case need CT-Scan.
- Systematic evaluation.
- Treatment planning.
- Pre Implant treatment ( Cleaning, Filling, Root Canal Treatment, Extraction )
- For immediate placement; implant placement after extractiion with or without temporary crown for esthetic; for other type; waiting for other soft tissue and other bone healing ( subjected to doctor judgement )
- Implant placement with or without bone graft, ( some cases need bone graft before placement which will have to wait 6-9 months for bone healing before placing an implant.
- Suture removal 7-14 days after implant placement.
- Wound healing 6-8 weeks for non bone graft sites and 3-4 months for one stage bone graft with impant placement.
- Abutment connection.
- Prosthesis placement.
- Reassesment and oral hygieneenforcement. Note; Step 10-12 duration is 1 week to 3-4 months ( subject to implant type and prosthesis treatment sequence. ) These are the treatment guidline. Treatment are varied . Doctor consultation will give you the precise treatment planning.
Post operative care:
- Avoid hot food.
- No rigirous exercise.
- Take prescribed medicine.
- Remove plaque.
- Rinsing with chlorhexidine.
- Wound healing is normal but if there is a puss occur, patient should contact the Doctor.
- No poking the wound.
- Use cold pack to reduce swelling on the first few days.
- No smokng, no alcohol consumption.
Factors affecting dental implant treatment:
- Systematic disease
- Periodontitis; Patient ho has history of periodontitis has a higher chance of implant failure.
- Poor oral hygiene
A.For healthy patient without systemic disease and no pathology of the edentulous site,in some case implant could be placed immediately and in some cases,implant could be place after 6-8 weeks of extraction to allow soft tissue healing.For those with pathology in the bone which cause bone defect or in case of infection in the area of future placement,usuallythe waiting time is longer,around 3-4 months after extaction.
Please note that the timing and treatment plnning will be discussed with patient on a case by case basis.
Q.If my tooth/teeth were removed long time ago and I feel that my bone is too narrow,is it possible to have implant placed?
A.It is possible to have implant placed but it might need bone graft to reconstruct the bone for implant placement.Also aternative treatments such as bridges or other types of prostheses can be an option.
Q.Which systemic diseases or health conditions I should be aware of before having implant treatment.
1.Uncontrolled diabetes which affect wound healing.
2.Uncontrolled high blood pressure.
3.Ostoporosis patient who receive Biphosphonate intravenous more than 3 years.
4.Cancer in craniofacial area which currently has radiotheraphy.
5.Heavy smoker especially 20 cigarette/day.Smoking cessation should be done before treatment.
6.Pregnant patient should delay the treatment.
7.Patient who take anticoagulant or patient who has a history of stroke within 6 mo's-1 year should consult physician before treatment.
8.Patient who takes immune suppresant should consult physician.
9.Patient with liver disease which lead to unstop bleeding should consult physician.
Q.Should I have other treatment before placing an impant?
A.Any infetion in the oral cavity should be removed before implant treatment to avoid the risk of infection at the implant site and to failure of the implant.
1.Periodontitis - should be treated before placing an implant since patient with history of periodontitis has higher risk of implant failure.
2.Caries - defectedd tooth structure should be removed to reduce oral cavity germ
3.Endodontics - rooth canal treatment should be done since apical infection especially adjacent to the site in the bone can infect the implant site.
Why people are choosing Dental Implant Service at The Ivory Dental Clinic;
-Dentist Team: Experienced Dentist with expertized in specific field provide the most effective treatment.
-Equipment: Advanced treatment room and equipment enhance the accuracy of diagnosis and treatment.
-International satandard of sterilization system: At the Ivory Dental Clinic we use Class B autoclave,the most effective strile sysem that meet the JCI requirment,So patient can rest assured about our hygienic standard.
-Quality Services: Our clinic determines to satisfy every patient’s needs with fast quality services.
-Good Value: Price to provide the best value patients can get.
For conventional implant, doctor will place dental implant after tooth extraction around 4-6 weeks and then wait for attachment process around 4-6 weeks to place crown on.
For other types of implant will depend on condition of bone which the Implantologist will consider prior to treatment.
The Ivory Dental Clinic determines to provide prompt services so every patient gets the fast response and efficient treatment.
Consult Online Free / Offer / Appointment Now >>