What is prosthodontics?
Prosthodontics is the dental field of replacing missing tooth with intra-oral prosthesis. It can be classified as
1). Fixed prosthesis
2). Removable denture is a dental prosthesis designed for replacing missing tooth including surrounding soft tissue. It aims to rehabilitate mastication (chewing), improve esthetic and preserve the missing tooth space.
Type of removable denture
What is immediate denture?
An immediate denture has a similar feature as a removable denture with plastic base. However, it is only use temporarily for esthetic reason. An immediate denture is delivered on the same day of tooth extraction. It is normally used in esthetic area, such as anterior region.
The doctor will plan it ahead with the patient. The impression will be taken one visit before tooth extraction visit so that the immediate denture will be ready on the day the tooth is removed.
In spite of having denture immediately replaced missing tooth, patient will need to come back for making permanent one. It is the nature of healing process in soft tissue and bone which will result in collapsing of the ridge and remodeling of the bone structure. Immediate denture could not fit for long. It takes approximately 4 weeks or more before patient could have an impression.
Procedure of making removable denture:
- Oral examination, Infection clearance: fillings, scaling , periodontal treatment if needed
- If tooth extraction is needed, It will take 4 weeks or more for wound healing before proceeding to the next step
- Take impression. In some cases, teeth preparation will be needed
- Lab process
- Try in the denture. Please note that it might take more than one visit.
- Post delivery check up.
- Soak your denture in the water when not in use.
- Don’t wear the denture during sleeping because it will cause gum inflammation and bone less.
- Clean your denture daily with soft toothbrush and soap water or with cleanser solution for denture. If possible, clean your denture after each meal.
- Beware of breaking the denture.
- Refrain from eating hard or sticky food.
- If uncomfortable of wearing denture occurs, please see the doctor. Don’t adjust the denture yourself.
It depends on the type of denture. Normally, it will take more than 1 visit to complete. Patient could consult with specialist prior to treatment.
The Ivory Dental Clinic determines to provide prompt services so every patient gets the fast response and efficient treatment.
Consult Online Free / Offer / Appointment Now >>